As a Sony Professional Solutions Specialist, WTS is able to offer you specialist training provided by industry experts in partnership with Sony.
As a busy videographer you have to do everything – and sound sometimes takes a back seat. This practical one-day course at Pinewood Studios will give you a focused introduction to the fundamentals of sound.
Working with high-end equipment, you’ll explore essential techniques and discover how to record polished, professional audio every time.
What will you learn?
This hands-on course provides a practical introduction to the requirements of a Sound Recordist on set. You’ll learn a wide range of skills and techniques, from picking the right microphone to using mic placement effectively in a range of situations.
- Choosing the correct microphone for your situation
- Understand a microphone’s character and its potential uses
- Microphone technique
- Positions and distances for different situations
- Radio mics: basic theory, setup and overview
- Mixer/recorder: setup and operation, gain structure and noise floor
- Cameras: inputs, line-up and setting up a return audio feed
- Sending audio to multiple cameras
- Wireless camera links (brief overview)
- Working with timecode
- Delivering projects to the client
Extra topics, time permitting:
- Director in-ear monitoring (brief overview)
- On-set communications
- Wireless boom and boom op wireless monitor
Who’s it for?
This course is ideal for students on media/film production courses, freelance videographers and self-shooters, professional camera operators and corporate video makers. You should already have some experience in video production at a professional or semi-professional level.
All necessary video cameras, lighting and sound equipment are provided – you don’t need to bring equipment with you.
How much does it cost?
The Sound Fundamentals for Videographers Craft Course costs £250 plus VAT (£300 including VAT).